Diabetes Treatment: Diabetes Mellitus, commonly known as Diabetes, is the world’s fastest-growing chronic condition, according to the World Health Organisation (WHO). Diabetes is a chronic illness that happens when the body cannot provide enough insulin for cells to function. The lack of insulin causes sugar production in the blood, which is also known as Glycosuria and Hyperglycemia. Insulin is a hormone that regulates blood sugar to be stored or used for energy. The imbalance of insulin results in excessive blood sugar levels. With the help of various home remedies for Diabetes, you can balance insulin hormones and sugar levels also in the body.
High blood sugar levels can obstruct the regular functions of your heart, eyes, blood vessels, nervous system, and kidneys. An estimated 77 million people are living with Diabetes in India. The number is expected to grow by over 100% by 2030. In Ayurveda, poor digestion is also one of the primary causes of diabetes, referred to as ‘Madhumeh.’
Ayurveda considers Diabetes as Madumeha, which means ‘sweet urine’. It also refers to the increased blood sugar level that results in excess sugar in the urine. Ayurvedic texts about Ayurvedic treatment for diabetes describe ‘Dhatupaka Janya Vikruti.’
Ayurveda defines every individual as a novel combination of Doshas. The 3 Doshas are Vata, Pitta, and Kapha. Vata could be a dry and ethereal dosha, Pitta is fiery, and Kapha is cold, slimy, and heavy. The imbalance of every Dosha causes different health problems. One of the primary causes of diabetes could be a Kapha Dosha imbalance. However, simply being a Kapha dominant person doesn’t signify polygenic disease. Once the Kapha dominance isn’t balanced with an equalization diet and lifestyle, it will manifest as a polygenic disorder. According to Ayurveda, you can also consider home remedies for diabetes for better results.
Food Items for Diabetes Treatment
Ayurvedic home remedies for diabetes will help you to control blood sugar levels. You should add the following as part of your diet to maintain your sugar levels:
1. Bitter Gourd: Bitter gourd should be a staple in a diabetes diet due to its richness in hypoglycaemic biochemical substances. The substances are also significant to manage fluctuations in sugar levels, especially Type-1 and Type-2 diabetes. Also, you can consume bitter gourd juice in the morning.
2. Bengal Gram: Bengal gram is another excellent food with excellent glucose intolerance. It is also advised to non-diabetics to reduce the risk of diabetes. Bengal gram is also beneficial for chronic diabetes.
3. Bitter Melon: Bitter melon has anti-diabetic properties as it contains character and polypeptide-p also, both known for lowering blood sugar levels naturally.
4. Fenugreek Seeds: Fenugreek seeds contain galactomannan, a component known to reduce the rate of digestion and decrease carbohydrate absorption. Soak 10 grams of fenugreek seeds in water. After that, consume on an empty stomach for best results.
5. Indian Gooseberry: Amla or Indian Gooseberry helps in regulating carbohydrate absorption. Moreover, Indian Gooseberry is rich in chromium that helps in insulin sensitivity. Also, one can eat it raw or mix it with gooseberry (Karunda) to stimulate the pancreatic cells and reduce blood sugar.
6. Jamun: The consumption of Jamun is highly recommended for people with diabetes due to its benefits in regulating insulin and increasing insulin production. You are advised to chew 4-5 Jamun leaves or you can also have Jamun Sirka throughout the day for positive results in diabetes.
7. Bay Leaf: Bay leaf is amongst the Ayurvedic home remedies for diabetes. You can mix Bay Leaf, Turmeric, and Aloe Vera gel together to make a herbal mixture. Take this mixture before meals to manage fluctuation in sugar levels.
8. Turmeric powder: Turmeric’s active component, curcumin, is credited with many of the spice’s purported benefits. Curcumin helps to decrease the level of glucose in the blood and other related complications. You are also recommended to consume turmeric, honey mixed with dried Amla or Amla Juice. It will also show magnificent results in managing sugar levels.
9. Curry leaf: Curry leaves are another excellent remedy for managing diabetes and hence you are also recommended to be consumed twice or thrice a day.
Also Read: Natural Home Remedies For Heart Diseases
Along with the home remedies for diabetes, you need to follow some early morning routine to reduce your blood sugar level. It not only reduces sugar levels but also improves your overall health.
The information you get every time you check your sugar level may be a valuable tool. It will also assist you to keep track and adjust schedules for your meals and exercise plans. It can also give you health care essential facts that will help you to manage your sugar level.
It is considered that morning is the best time to go for a walk or run and exercise. Physical activities will also help to reduce glucose levels by making your cells more sensitive to your insulin. You can consider Yoga to control diabetes.
Have a balanced breakfast including protein and moderate amounts of good carbohydrates. It will facilitate stabilized aldohexose levels and keep sugar cravings away later within the day. Many sorts of glucose-lowering medications also work additionally with efficiency only if the meals and snacks are spaced equally throughout the day.
Taking simply a couple of minutes day after day to set up your meals is one of the keys to success. You should also consider to consume home made meal only.
Eating a healthy diet will keep your blood sugar levels under control and also help to prevent weight gain. People with diabetes are recommended to follow a diet rich in nutrients, low in fat and calories. Ayurveda also recommends avoiding consuming sweets or simple carbohydrates and also including green vegetables in their diet. The following is a typical Ayurvedic diet chart for diabetic patients:
If you start your day with herbal tea, then it will boost your metabolism. Along with that, it also helps to reduce your body weight.
How to make herbal tea: First of all, Mix 1 tsp of crushed Mulethi (licorice), a bark of cinnamon, three pods of crushed cardamom, and 1 tsp of crushed coriander seeds in a jar. Then pour hot boiling water into the jar. After that, add a teaspoon of honey for sweetness and drink this mixture on an empty stomach. You are also recommended to take 150 to 300 ml of this herbal infusion every day.
Foods with high fiber, like whole cereals (bajra, ragi, or maize), are recommended as breakfast options for diabetic patients. You can have pancakes, steamed idlis, paddle, and versions of roti made from cereals. You can also add spicy condiments like mint, coriander, tomato, herbal chutneys to your breakfast to improve the digestion and also for absorption of the food.
There’s an old saying, “Eat breakfast like a king; lunch like a prince; and dinner like a pauper.” For people with diabetes, 40-60gms of dry cereal mix flour would be sufficient for breakfast. Samara, Kodrava, and Uddalaka varieties of rice, Godhuma (wheat), Canada, Adhaki, and Kulattha pulse beans are also good options for people with diabetes.
Mid-morning hunger is the time to have some healthy snacks. You can have a bowl (60gms) of whole protein like steamed and spiced sprouts sprinkled with lemon juice also to add proteins for the day.
For lunch, you should make sure your thali consists of a bowl of horse gram dal/dal soup, steamed red rice or Saamai rice, one bowl of steamed veggie, one bowl of cooked legumes, and also a glass of buttermilk. This will also give you the required calories in your lunch. You should also pay attention to the portion size of your lunch. The ideal portion size is:
In the evening, drink a glass of warm milk tea spiced with light Mulethi (licorice root). This will help to boost the metabolism and also digest the previous meal.
Wind up the day with a light meal. As per Ayurveda, the ideal dinner menu should be a bowl of oats porridge/broken wheat porridge with buttermilk and also a medium-sized bowl of steamed veggies. Also, you can have Roti with veg curries alternatively.
Please find below the infographic on “Home Remedies For Diabetes Treatment”. Feel free to use this infographic but make sure to cite us atwww.healthybazar.com.
Diabetes can be managed; Even people with very high sugar levels have also been able to help manage their diabetes to a great extent. It would help if you become disciplined with your diet. You may be tempted to eat sweets or junk foods. It would also help if you can control such temptations, and stick to your controlled diet.You also need to practice Yoga and Pranayama, which will help you regulate your blood sugar levels.
You then also need to take the Ayurvedic medicine for diabetes such as Karela Jamun Juice, Himalaya Diabecon DS, and Madhumeh Nashini Gutika prescribed by your physician. Following all these steps will enable you to control your level of blood sugar. If you continue to maintain discipline, you will surely take control of your sugar levels.