Cysts are fluid-filled sacs that can form in various body parts, including the reproductive system. In some cases, cysts can interfere with the normal functioning of the menstrual cycle, causing irregular periods, heavier or lighter bleeding, and other menstrual irregularities. But one of the conditions that are caused due to continuous cyst buildup in ovaries with every coming cycle is Polycystic ovary syndrome, also known as PCOS.
PCOS causes irregular menstrual bleeding due to the absence of monthly ovulation and increased levels of androgens (male hormones). The elevated androgen levels can sometimes result in excessive facial hair growth, acne, and thinning of the male head hair. Many women with PCOS are overweight or obese and have a higher risk of developing diabetes and obstructive sleep apnea. For women with PCOS who want to become pregnant, fertility medications may be needed to trigger ovulation. Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) is a hormonal disorder affecting many women of reproductive age. It can cause various symptoms, including irregular menstrual cycles.
When there is an overproduction of androgens, a small number of male hormones also found in females causes hormonal imbalance that then interferes with the normal functioning of the ovaries. It later leads to the development of small cysts on the ovaries, which can further affect the menstrual cycle.
Women with PCOS often experience irregular or missed periods because their ovaries may not release an egg (ovulate) every month as they should. In some cases, women with PCOS may also experience heavy bleeding during their periods.
If these signs persist, contact our healthcare provider through online consultation.
Irregular periods caused by PCOS can be treated and managed through various treatments depending on the severity of the symptoms and individual needs.
Some common treatments include:
1. Lifestyle modifications: Eating a healthy diet, regular exercise and maintaining a healthy weight can help regulate hormones and improve menstrual regularity and overall health.
2. Birth control pills: Oral contraceptives containing estrogen and progestin can help regulate menstrual cycles and reduce the risk of developing endometrial cancer.
3. Progestin therapy: Taking progestin for 10-14 days every 1-2 months can help regulate periods and reduce the risk of developing endometrial cancer.
4. Insulin-sensitizing medications: These medications can improve insulin resistance and regulate menstrual cycles. Metformin is a commonly used medication in this category.
5. Fertility medications: Medications such as clomiphene citrate (Clomid) or letrozole can help stimulate ovulation and increase the chances of pregnancy.
Ayurvedic treatment for irregular periods and PCOS typically involves a combination of dietary and lifestyle changes and herbal remedies. There are several ayurvedic medicines for irregular periods that you can purchase from our website at low cost.
Some examples of Ayurvedic treatments for irregular periods and PCOS include:
1. Exercise and Yoga: Regular exercise and practising yoga can help balance hormones, reduce stress and improve insulin sensitivity.
2. Diet and nutrition: A balanced diet that includes whole grains, fruits, vegetables, and lean protein can help regulate hormones and improve reproductive health. Limit intake of processed foods, sugary snacks, and alcohol, as these can exacerbate PCOS symptoms. Ayurvedic practitioners may also recommend specific foods and herbs such as ginger, turmeric, and aloe vera, as these are some of the best natural ayurvedic medicine for irregular periods
3. Manage stress: Chronic stress can worsen PCOS symptoms. Therefore, it is essential to manage stress through various relaxation techniques such as meditation, deep breathing, or yoga.
4. Adequate sleep: Sleeping is essential for hormonal balance and overall health. Aim for at least 7-8 hours of sleep per night.
5. Ayurvedic herbs: Certain herbs such as Shatavari, Ashwagandha, and Triphala are traditionally used in Ayurveda to support reproductive health and balance hormones. Consult with a licensed Ayurvedic practitioner before using any herbal remedies for irregular periods or treating PCOS.
Panchakarma is one of the most effective methods of treating PCOS in Ayurveda. It is a rejuvenating and detoxification therapy. Panchakarma helps to restore the imbalance of hormones to normal levels and maintains the metabolic balance in the body. It also strengthens the reproductive organs so that they function normally.
The Panchakarma therapy for PCOS is as follows:
Basti: It is one of the most effective panchakarma therapies in Ayurveda for PCOS. It particularly helps to increase fertility and ensure healthy conception. Basti chikitsa is inherently painless therapy in which a decoction of medicated oil is administered through the rectum, also known as an enema, and is performed over several days. It consists of various Ayurvedic remedies, such as ghee, kashya, and oil, which are modifies to the specific health condition of the woman. This procedure eliminates the doshas from the rectum, nourishes and detoxifies at the same time and is therefore highly recommended.
Vamana: It is a cleansing and detoxification method of Panchakarma and involves the planned and systematic elimination of toxins by inducing vomiting (emesis). Vamana helps in balancing hormones, increasing fertility and supports weight loss.
Virechan: It eliminates the toxins from the body and balances pitta. Virechan is performed to cleanse the small intestine by stimulating bowel movements. This procedure is extremely helpful for obesity, irregular periods, hormonal imbalance and pigmentation.
Uttarbasti: One of the most effective treatments for gynaecological disorders, Uttarbasti acts on the uterus and ovaries and helps dissolve the cysts in the ovaries. Purification clears the artava (menstrual cycle), vaha, srotas (channel network) and improves follicle maturation.
According to a study, the prevalence of PCOS is high among Indian women. Irregular periods and PCOS can be challenging to manage, but the issue can be resolved with the help of conventional treatment options, Ayurvedic therapies, and panchakarma treatment. There is various Ayurvedic medicine for irregular periods that can also be beneficial. Still, it is always best to consult the healthcare provider or a qualified Ayurvedic practioner as they can provide the best treatment for individual needs. By taking a holistic approach and addressing the root causes of PCOS and irregular periods, women can take control of their health and improve their overall well-being.